newheader02

A Look at Garden of Prayer M.B. Church History

 
john e browncropped
 
On May 13 1956, our founding pastor, Reverend John E. Brown preached his first sermon at a small storefront church on the West side of Chicago named Garden of Prayer Mission. After being organized by the North Wood River District of the National Baptist Convention, the church was established as Garden of Prayer Missionary Baptist Church in 1963 and chartered by the State of Illinois. After several moves, the church settled at 1427 South 18th Avenue, Maywood, Illinois in 1970, where it remained for 31 years. Pastor Brown went home to be with the Lord on November 9, 1988. Pastor Brown's loving and devoted wife, Charlotte and his youngest daughter Sherry are still active members carrying on the legacy that Pastor Brown started 62 years ago.
steve nelsoncropped
 
Shortly after the passing of Pastor Brown, Reverend Steve Nelson was elected pastor in 1988 and served as pastor through May 10, 1992. Robert Nelson and George Washington were ordained as deacons. Pastor Nelson made the decision to return to his home church Christian Love M.B. Church in Chicago, Illinois. His wife, Lady Sophia Nelson and their children went to support him.
callie comptoncropped
 
On Sunday, May 10, 1992, Pastor Nelson ordained Reverend Callie Compton, where she served as Interim Pastor through October 1992. Pastor Claude Porter of Proviso Baptist Church in Maywood, Illinois and Rev. Richard Nelson Pastor of Greater Open Door Baptist Church in Chicago, Illinois served as the Official Board Advisors. We will forever be grateful for the help of the Official Board for all their acts of kindness.
johnnie hayniecropped
 
Reverend Johnnie R. Haynie was elected as pastor by the membership of the Garden of Prayer Missionary Baptist Church on October 18, 1992. Under his spiritual leadership and guidance, Garden of Prayer has grown from a small congregation to one of the fastest-growing churches in the area. Due to its growth in 2001, the church moved to its current location of 2001 South 17th Avenue in Broadview, Illinois. The church has grown both spiritually and numerically, but our focus was and still is the total salvation of man through prayer, worship, outreach, fellowship and the Word of God.
 
 
Clicky